Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Northern California!

This morning we got an early start partly to beat the heat and mostly to time our passage thru Stockton and Sacramento.


It is still very windy today - so much for my wish of last night for calm winds. The canals we pass all have large waves and white-caps on them - like they are out on the ocean. This picture certainly doesn't do the sight justice.

The trip thru Sacramento, which is usually not pleasant, was a piece of cake today. I-5 has some major construction going on thru the downtown/river front part of Sacramento and the CA-DOT web site suggested a detour. We left I-5 North and headed West on I-80 Business for a couple miles then turned East on I-80 for another couple miles before rejoining I-5 North - completely avoiding Sacramento proper! This is the way we will always use in the future - like I said "A Piece of Cake"!!!!! This is a picture of Sacramento in the distance - where it should be for us retired travelers!

We have crossed that imaginary boundary between Southern and Northern California. There is such a big difference it is wonderful. We are still in the "Big Valley", but everything is greener and prettier in the Northern end.






The freeways have these huge Oleander bushes in the center median, which also make the scenery more beautiful.









We get our first glimpse of Mt. Shasta - it was a little hazy, but definitely Mt. Shasta! It will be more magnificent the closer we get.







We arrived in Corning CA at our destination for this day, the Rolling Hills Indian Casino, making our day approximately 300 miles (close to our max). We have the option to dry camp in their large parking lot, or settle in at the RV Park. We choose the RV Park, which is very large and mostly empty. We have 50 amp electric, water and sewer. With the temps approaching the 100 mark, the 50 amps is much welcomed!

We will spend two nights here before continuing North. Tomorrow we will be seeing friends that live in Chico - it will be great seeing them again.

No comments: