Sunday, December 14, 2008

It's beginning to look like Christmas......


I think that this Santa brought the Charger’s some luck today! What a game - well it wasn’t much of a game until the very end. The Charger’s stay alive for one more week - now let’s see which team shows up next week…….





It isn’t easy to get good pictures of Christmas lights unless you have great photo equipment. Take my word for it - it looks way more awesome after dark! All up and down our street just about everyone has strung lights similar to our’s just more elaborate - it is beautiful, and we have noticed lots of extra traffic in the evening checking it all out!


I am finally attracting some of the local birds to our yard. I figured when we moved to the desert I wouldn’t have many birds to watch. It took awhile, but they are showing up!


The large black birds (I don’t have a clue what they are called) finally figured out how to get the seed out of the feeder! Pretty smart, huh? They are too big to perch on the rim.


I think these are Dove’s (but again I don’t really have a clue). They always feed from the ground - apparantly enough seed gets dropped by the other birds that they have some on the ground to eat. I had one today almost figure out how to feed like the Black birds do. It just couldn’t get the hang of it, but I have no doubt they will figure it out soon enough.



I am guessing these little guys are Finches - they kind of look like the ones that were at Pio Pico. I think I need to get a book - right?

I also have several Hummingbirds that visit, but they are too elusive to get a picture. They will relax soon enough and I will be able to get their pictures also! I think I have at least three different ones - nothing like Pio Pico where I had dozens at once!

It has turned chilly here in the desert. I figured it couldn’t stay warm too much longer. Still, it isn’t as cold as lots of places are - including Pio Pico. They are threatening rain the next few days. I guess rain is always a good thing in the desert. We still don’t have any neighbors in the lots that border ours - I guess lots of the “Snowbirds” or “Winter Visitors” (as we are called here in Yuma) probably don’t show up until after the Holidays. We will see….. In the meantime we are enjoying all the peace and quiet!

No comments: