Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bad Day in Blackrock --- actually Castle Rock Shores!

Our good friends Lew & Dottie and ourselves headed out Friday morning for a visit with Monaco friends Doris and Jack, who are staying at the Castle Rock Shores RV Park just North of Parker Arizona. Lew was waiting to make a left turn into the campground and a Kansas Farmer driving a 2005 Holiday Rambler Scepter wasn't paying attention and hit us from behind. He was going about 40-45 miles per hour and fortunately for us managed to just clip the rear passenger side of Lew's Kia Sportage without spinning us around, just scraping the length of the car. The rear glass exploded and showered us, but other than that none of us were injured - just really shook up!


Lew was able to pull off to the side of the road. I am standing behind the Kia and if you look way down by the second fire truck you can see where the Scepter finally stopped. According to a witness, the driver of the coach almost layed it on the side, but he managed to keep it straight and upright.



As you can see, he did a lot of damage to his coach. He was cited for something - don't know for sure what, but I am sure he is in a lot of trouble. It was just a miracle that nobody was hurt - property can be fixed, people getting hurt is something else.


He hit us and managed to miss the Sheriff's car (a decoy car) sitting on the side of the road. The Sheriff's car was there to cause people to slow down, he said it distracted him .... right.... There are parts to the Kia and his coach spread out. Immediately after he hit and we got off to the side of the road, a construction truck stopped and blocked traffic to sweep all the broken glass off the road, then drove off - we don't have a clue who this good person was, I saw him but with all that was happening I didn't get a really good look.

The bottom line is that we are all ok and after today relaxing around our campsite in Quartzsite, we can almost joke about the whole ordeal. It is not going to be a fun time for Lew & Dottie getting all this mess straightened out, but I am confident that the Kansas Farmer will pay dearly for being "distracted".

2 comments:

Rick Stone said...

I'm just glad you are all okay. I've had enough loss in my life recently and sure don't want any good friends added to that count.

Malisa said...

So glad everyone is okay! Car wrecks are a scary business.